Friday, July 8, 2011

Back Home and Lots to Think About

The boys and I got home late last night after a long visit to Montana--2 weeks for them and 20 days for me. I've got so much going through my mind right now and it is going to take me some time to process it all enough to be able to write about it.
I have now been privileged enough to be a part of the final hours of two people I have loved. First was my grandmother, 9 years ago. I spent weeks helping my mother care for her and when I wasn't there for her last breath, it felt like I had missed the crossing of the finish line.
This time it was Ron, legally my step-father, but just as dear to me as a father. I wasn't there for the weeks leading up to his death, just the last 3 days, but had the honor of holding his hand as he breathed in his last breath. One night as I was giving him a sip of water he whispered to me, "I'm dying, you know." I will never forget those words or the moment in which he said them. I have played it over and over in my mind. I said to him simply, "I know," and held his hand, but I have wondered if I should have said something more, if I missed a chance to get a glimpse of the road he was travelling, if he needed me to comfort him.
I've been working, hard. Busy and focused, and on a mission. I needed to take care of my mom, to make sure everything was perfect for Ron's service, to not let anyone down.
But now I need to be quiet. To think and remember and contemplate.
I will try to write out what the last few weeks have been to me, a little at a time. Tonight I will leave you with two favorite pictures of mine, and lots of pictures of beautiful Montana. Stay tuned.






Psalm 31:14-15 "But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in your hands...."

2 comments:

  1. Oh my dear sister in the Lord, I will be praying for you during this "quiet time"; praying our Father will bring you comfort and peace through grieving and revelation through His Word. He holds every tear and loves you so perfectly, my beautiful friend. Abundant hugs and prayers.
    ~ Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are loved.....May He provide for your needs just now.
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete