Inspired by something I saw on Pinterest, this month I am making good use of my time and de-cluttering. Just in time, since Christmas is just around the corner. ("The entrance to our store is around the corner. There's no other way to say it. It's not the name of our store; it's where it is." Bonus points to you if you know that movie quote. Nick and Alyson, you are disqualified.)
Anyway, I love to decorate for Christmas and I hate having clutter ruin my decorations. But I don't have hours each day to clean things out. What to do?
The blog that the Pinterest link came from gave me a great idea. Her plan was 40 bags in 40 days (very ambitious) but I am in a time crunch. I got cleanin' to do and not a lot of time to do it in! The idea is simple: make a list of 20 (or more) spaces in your home that need to be de-clutterized. Every day choose one place off the list and remove a bag, either for trash, recycling, or donation, from that area. The bag sizes may vary based on the area being cleaned and some areas may require more than one day/bag to organize. I'm not overwhelming myself, though. Some spaces (the garage, laundry/storage room, for example) could take DAYS to organize. But this is not the time. This is the time to clear some things out, make a little room, get a little better organized and head into the holidays with a sense of calm. I chose 20 days because there are 24 days until Thanksgiving and we are going to be out of town this weekend. That leaves 20 days to work and finish up the day before Thanksgiving.
Here's my list:
20 Bags in 20 Days
1. Kitchen Junk Drawer
2. My closet (shoes)
3. My closet (clothes)
4. Joshua’s closet
5. Joshua’s toy shelves
6. Joshua’s bookshelf
7. German Cabinet
8. Pantry
9. White Cabinet
10. Bathroom drawers
11. Master Bathroom cabinet
12. Kitchen Utensil Junk Drawer
13. Bookshelf downstairs
14. School Shelves
15. Craft Room
16. Coat Closet
17. Laundry Room
18. Laundry Room
19. Phone Book Cabinet
20.Dvd Cabinet
Let me know if you decide to join in! Happy de-clutterizing!
Is the movie "You've Got Mail?"
ReplyDeleteI am going to try a modified version to get my house sparkly in time for my in-laws visit starting the 16th. So instead of the 12 days of Christmas I'm doing the 12 days of bags :)
That is such a great idea. I think it would take me years to accomplish. Or just another move. :)
ReplyDelete