Sometime, somewhere the blue and the green bowls disappeared. I don't remember it happening--could have been in a move, they could have gotten broken. But the white bowl (Jarrett's bowl) stayed around. When Joshua came along he fell just as in love with the bowl as the other kids had done. He asked for it every morning and it has been his bowl of choice since he started feeding himself. This week he told me he doesn't want to use the white bowl anymore. He doesn't like how the cereal gets stuck in the straw and he thinks it's a "little kid" bowl. He would like to use one of the polish pottery bowls now; after all, he's not so little anymore.
It's true. He is 6 1/2, after all. The bowl has had a great run. And it has been a symbol, of sorts, of the spirit of childhood in our home. I'm not throwing it out, of course. When I look at it in the cupboard, I'll remember how much fun we had with the bowls, and think about how fast childhood really goes....
No comments:
Post a Comment