Saturday, September 24, 2011

Why, oh why, did we come back??

I seriously thought that THIS time at the beach would be easier to leave behind. After all, it wasn't going to be sunny and hot (which I LOVE), the girl wasn't with us, we had things to do back home (school, Scouts, etc.) and it was a short visit.
But that place never fails. It draws us in and holds on tight. Yes, it was cloudy most of the time. Yes, we even wore jackets for our early morning shark-tooth hunting trips. No, I didn't even put on my bathing suit once. And no, Britt's Donuts was not open because it was the off-season. But it was still so wonderfully, peacefully quiet and relaxing. There was a lot of fishing. We took a ferry and did some shopping. We found out that there are cactii (in North Carolina?) and that they are endangered. (oops...) We ate at an outdoor restaurant. We met a retired Air Force guy who'd been coming there with his children and now grandchildren for 40 years. I told him that I hope we're doing that in 40 years, too (only I secretly hope my grandchildren are coming to my house at the beach).
It was hard to come home. Made even harder by the rain and soggy, humid air hanging on everything. For some reason, rain and clouds at the beach are just so much prettier than rain and clouds in Maryland.
Tons of pictures to follow:



surf fishing success










"Yo, Double-G..."
"what on earth is he doing?"


Beautiful stormy sky


The sun did come out.


Joshua set up this beach scene. :)
 

Cast net success
Spoils from our shark tooth-hunting adventures


Lattes and a little work early in the morning

Maybe one day I'll find out....
 Stay tuned for pictures on what we did AFTER the beach....
p.s. (new car is still clean--no fish smell or sand! THAT is success! :)

2 comments:

  1. I look like Bigfoot in the beach picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your pictures, my friend! Such special family time!! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete