Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Bittersweet Music

We got a new piano. Pee-nano, as one of the kids used to call it. Not technically new, but adopted with love. It's a Wurlitzer-much smaller than our old piano and with a lovely character to it. The boys love it already. And I love the idea of having wall space above the piano and not having to devote an entire half of a room to it.

BUT. I loved our old piano. It was old. It was rickety. And it was family. We got it from some of our dearest friends (like family) way back at Fort Campbell. Pushed it across the cul-de-sac. Then we moved it with us to Montana for a year, then shipped it across the Atlantic to Germany, where, interestingly, I believe it originated...

It took up a LOT of space in our tiny German apartment. But I loved it. I loved hearing the children practice on it, and plunking through some songs myself. I liked decorating the top of it, and thought of our friends every time I looked at it.
I will miss that old thing.

1 comment:

  1. Used to live in Idar-Oberstein. Great memories. Congrats on the new one!

    ReplyDelete