Thursday, September 27, 2012

Home Tour

Surprise! I told you I wouldn't be back before the weekend but was reminded that I promised someone I would get some house photos up a long time ago. So here it is (part).

We have the pleasure of living in one of the historic homes here on Fort Bragg. It comes with all kinds of funny quirks and lots of beautiful details and character. 6-inch baseboards, crown molding, beautiful hardwoods, built in shelves. It's so lovely and we feel so thrilled to get to be here for a time. Inside the mirror in the basement bathroom, the last 3 or 4 occupants have listed their names and the years they lived here. That is an old Army tradition--my favorite place I've seen that was in OLD quarters at Fort Monroe, VA. when the first few occupants were there during the civil war!

Anyway, for the few of you who haven't been and probably won't come visit anytime soon, here is the main floor.

When you come in the front door, there is a small entry (remember the board and batten treatment I showed you here? Scroll to the last picture) and you choose whether to go left or right. If you go left you will enter the living room and this is your view:

love this room. The (working) fireplace is gorgeous, the built-in bookcases are delightful, it's so sunny. I spent lots of time cuddled up on the couch with my Bible study in the mornings.
Back at the front door, if you choose to go right you will enter the dining room and THIS is your view:

more built-ins (heart)

 Continuing through the dining room, you enter the kitchen, at the back of the house.

the kitchen is ginormous. I am thinking about getting (building) an island to go in front of the stove there.

looking back into the kitchen from the entrance to the living room (Lily has always wanted to be famous)

view from the kitchen doorway across the back of the living room and into the sunroom, which we are using as a school room/den

this room was a challenge. It's long and narrow. I think we've got it now, though. It's actually a great space for school and still comfy enough to enjoy a book there in the afternoons
 And that is the main floor. Notice no powder room? One of the little quirks of living in this old house. :)  Soon I'll get around to taking pictures of the upstairs and the basement/family room. 
view up the stairs from the living room

And just because he's a goof, here is the blue-lipped boy. Either he had a popsicle or he's getting ready to show some Tarheel pride.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, lovin' all the built-ins and gorgeous floors! What a beautiful new home! Thank you for the tour. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete