Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Middle birthday

Well, I wasn't very timely with my posts-today is the Last birthday but I haven't posted about the Middle birthday yet! 

Here goes:
Nick turns 20. (Which is so weird to type.)

Generally on birthdays I ask the birthday boy/girl what meal they want to have and what kind of cake. Nick couldn't make up his mind this year so he left it up to me. He has a number of favorites but we decided on lasagna and garlic bread and it was yummy and just right. 

The cake was another matter. What kind of cake to send this man off on the beginning of his world adventures? 
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty to the rescue! That movie has quickly become one of our favorites. Clementine cake was the obvious choice! (Rent the movie if you haven't seen it to get the cake reference)
An internet searched helped me find just the right recipe and with a couple hours of prep, the cake was on its way...

Church in the morning-

We had lasagna after church, then opened presents. 


From Alyson and Nick's best friend, Anthony. (So glad I kept my Shaun Cassidy records!)

Birthday with the World Cup Finals...

Then time for cake. 
Sooooo delicious. Rich and moist and citrus-y. Not wrapped in a shoot itenerary, but still awesome.



Tuesday we continued the fun with a trip to Wet n Wild in Greensboro. Super fun day which got rained out a couple hours before closing. The best part of that is that we got rain checks to come back for another full day free!!

And the countdown begins to the day that sweet boy/man leaves home. What a bittersweet day that will be for me. He is a joy to our entire household, a sweet and gentle spirit, compassionate and loving. He is so funny, as any of you who are his Facebook friends know. Every little kid loves him to death and pretty much every big kid, too. And, let's face it, every adult, too. ;)
Letting him go may be one of the hardest things I've done. My heart beats with the remembrance of what the Lord brought him through and I know He will be with my boy through all the rest life will bring. He has plans for Nick-and Nick feels that calling upon his life. What a precious measure of grace to be able to feel God's comforting hand as I let my son's hand go....

1 comment:

  1. I've LOVED catching up with all your birthday celebrations and precious pictures!!! We are on the same continent for a bit and I'm praying for you and all your children, your sweetheart, and grand-baby (EEEKKKKK!!! Congratulations!!!!) as you share memories this summer and move soon. Looking forward to staying in touch! Love you bunches my friend! HUGS! ~ Sheri

    ReplyDelete