Saturday, February 21, 2015

Castles, a cat, and candy. Lots of candy.

We finished up the four-day weekend with a trip to some nearby castle ruins. Burg Falkenstein is a short drive from our house and although the day was cold and dreary, we had a fun time exploring!





After looking around the castle a bit, we found an open restaurant-quite a feat since it was Rose Monday and in this Catholic-holiday loving country, most restaurants and bakeries were closed (a double whammy since many are closed on Mondays anyway). It was warm in the restaurant and we were seated right next to the radiator. We were not the first ones to scope out that cozy spot, though. Felix the cat had been enjoying an extended stay on top of the radiators for apparently quite some time. He didn't mind that we stepped inside his personal space...

I ordered the special for the restaurant, as I like to do. Since I eat pretty much anything (sometimes to my detriment) I like to taste the specialties of each chef. This plate had a generous amount of sauerkraut surrounded by three different meats. A typical bratwurst, a spam-like pressed meat slice that, interestingly, had little cubes of potatoes in it, and a very large liver dumpling with brown gravy. I will admit to not being able to finish the liver....there are limits.

On the way back from Falkenstein we spotted these beauties out with the trash! Score! They are now happily residing on my front steps..

I got to FaceTime with this guy this week. He had a lot of interesting things to tell me....

And Thursday Joshua and I took a tour of the Wawi chocolate factory in Pirmasens. It was a pretty short tour, but interesting, and the staff was very personable and friendly. The actual chocolate pouring machine and conveyor belt were not running the day we were there, but we got to see them making some of the molds by hand and watched the chocolate artists "paint" the insides of the molds with contrasting colors of chocolates to give the bunnies, roosters, ducks, etc. their details.





We had a fun time shopping in the adjacent shop and sampled a few (ahem) freebies. 


No comments:

Post a Comment