Saturday, June 13, 2015

Idar-Oberstein

Recently we took a little day trip up to Idar-Oberstein, to see the Felsenkirche, or "Church in the Rock." It was a nice day for a hike--a little breeze blowing, a pretty sky. We had a light lunch in the the square before we began hiking.

Inside the church is not really all that impressive....

but the view is great!
 There are two castles on the mountain near the church. One is ruins and the other is maintained and run by a private company.
We got to peek in at a wedding in the castle


monument to local soldiers from the Franco-Prussian War
I have a picture from this same location with the big kids....if I find it I'll post it here!
My Fitbit logged MANY flights of stairs on our hike! Because as usual, no one ever built a castle in a nice level area....something about protecting it from attacks. ;) 
It was another nice afternoon spent with my two guys....


1 comment:

  1. LEGOLAND, Strawberries, castles, stunning views, and precious family time... looks like the summer is off to a terrific start!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete