Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Day of School

As promised, here are pictures from our first day of school. I love the beginning of school, when the pencils are sharp, the notebooks are neat, and everyone is excited!

This year we borrowed an idea from my friend Sheri here and made a big brownie to celebrate the new school year. Joshua loves to bake and since he began learning fractions in school last year he was able to read the recipe this time, too!

We had a sweet friend over to help us kick off our school year.

This is a snack I made--I thought it turned out adorable. I have to admit, though, that no one ate them--well, except the Bugles. Oh well, even Martha Stewart isn't always successful---right?

For those of you interested in what the kids are studying this year:

Joshua's main studies are:
Saxon Math
History Odyssey-early modern times
Apologia Science-sea creatures
Sing, Spell, Read, and Write Level II
We're doing lots of hands-on activities this year to keep his busy hands occupied. Things like History Pockets, Copybooks, and a book called Science Around the Year, which has seasonal science projects (like why do leaves change color? and what do pinecones tell us about weather?)

He is taking P.E. Computers, and a recycling class at a co-op up at Fort Meade, which he is very excited about starting tomorrow!

In addition to all that, he starts piano lessons next week and the week after that his Dad and Nick will take him to his first-ever Cub Scout meeting!

Nick's 10th grade year includes:
Chemistry
Algebra II
BJU English 10
Spanish (w/ a family friend from Costa Rica as his tutor)
American Sign Language
US Govt (taught by a homeschool dad at a co-op)
New Testament History
Art History
Nick will be working towards his Eagle Scout rank this year as well as playing baseball and basketball with the varsity homeschool teams. He's going to volunteer with Joshua's Cub Scout den whenever he can as well.
Here is a belated picture of Alyson's first day of school 2 weeks ago. It turned out blurry but I didn't notice at the time because I wasn't quite used to rising at such an early hour! She still looks pretty, though--even when blurry.

Alyson's 11th grade year looks like this:
German III
AP Statistics
Pre-calculus
Physics
Human Physiology
AP Language
AP US History

Alyson is involved in a service organization called YouthRise at her school and also joined the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. She'll be running and jumping again for indoor and outdoor track, as well as continuing to coach the level 6 gymnastics team at her old gym and babysitting every Saturday for a dear friend whose husband is deployed.

They have a lot going on this year. It's exciting to see them taking leadership roles and choosing activities that are both interesting to them and that benefit others. Sometimes I can't believe Joshua is old enough to be joining all those things but I remember that it's been 4 years since we left Germany! Time just flies--

If you ever need to reach me, I'll be at home teaching during the day and driving all afternoon and evening. Maybe I should raise the minutes on our cell phone plan! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Wow. You make school FUN! :) And I love the snacks and the yummy looking cakes you made. Have a great school year you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh Anne, you didn't tell me about the adorable ruler and "snack pencils" too!!! Love all your fantastic ideas. And, Miss Allison looked beautiful on her first day too! Looking forward to seeing you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete