We've had quite a year. And dealing with some of the illnesses that we've encountered has really got me thinking about our society. Why are there so many "new" illnesses? Why such a high rate of cancer? Why are there so may cases of undiagnosed ailments?
I know that medicine has come a long way and research has helped doctors diagnose things, particularly cancers, when in the past it may have gone undiagnosed. But I do not believe that that accounts for just how many people have gotten sick in recent years. Some studies have said that cancer rates are as high as 1 in 4.
My gut feeling, and maybe I'm coming late to the game, is that our "easy" lifestyle is making us sick. Everything is convenient. Foods, packaging, cleaning supplies, etc. We have so many chemicals that as hard as the FDA is trying (and I am so thankful to have an organization that is TRYING to protect us) we may never know just what we are exposing ourselves to, considering the different combinations of things we encounter in our individual lives.
Maybe something was found to have materials "within acceptable levels" but what about when you combine that material with something in another food or container? To me, it's kind of like the rock fish warning they have here in Maryland. They are always changing the "acceptable" amount of rock fish you can eat in a week. Really? Would you actually go to a restaurant and order, say, 15 oz. of rock fish because it's "acceptable" to have up to 17 oz. that week? Does it carry over? Can I "bank" my rock fish allotment to the next week? No thank you. I'll just avoid eating it altogether.
Recently I found out that most anti-bacterial handsoap has something called "triclosan" which, when mixed with water, forms chloroform. Perhaps good for "preserving" our beautiful skin (wink) but not something I'd want my children breathing on a regular basis. Of course we all already know that a big problem right now is bacterial resistance and "super bugs" due to the huge amount of antibiotics and anti-bacterial things we use. This is one more reason to get rid of it all. A sad moment for me, because I am a charter member of the Bath & Body Works adoration society but something's gotta give. Chloroform!
And I've seen the whole "BPA-free" advertising on things and heard the debates about water bottles, but only recently really started looking into it. You can find thousands of articles by googling BPA but basically (for those of you who have pretty much ignored this issue like me) Bisphenol-A (BPA) is a chemical used to make polycarbonate, which is what helps make plastics durable. It is particularly useful in products which will be microwaved. Studies have suggested that the BPA can leak out into the foods and drinks that are kept in polycarbonate products. It is also found in the linings of canned foods and drinks. I've read, but since I don't have a baby I haven't checked recently, that BPA is banned in baby bottles now since babies are particularly at risk from this chemical.
The FDA says this:
Studies employing standardized toxicity tests have thus far supported the safety of current low levels of human exposure to BPA. However, on the basis of results from recent studies using novel approaches to test for subtle effects, both the National Toxicology Program at the National Institutes of Health and FDA have some concern about the potential effects of BPA on the brain, behavior, and prostate gland in fetuses, infants, and young children. In cooperation with the National Toxicology Program, FDA’s National Center for Toxicological Research is carrying out in-depth studies to answer key questions and clarify uncertainties about the risks of BPA.
The Washington Post reported in 2010:
Growing scientific evidence has linked the chemical to a host of problems, including cancer, sexual dysfunction and heart disease.
Recent data found health effects even at low doses of BPA -- lower than the levels considered safe by the FDA.
That, to me, is rock fish. "Key questions" and "uncertainties" are huge red flags. The argument can be made that we cannot keep ourselves in a bubble and we're always going to be exposed to something, and that is true. But when we KNOW of something that is unhealthy for us we have no alternative but to reduce our exposure as much as we can.
I'd decided after talking with a friend to discard all of our Glad containers we have been using for lunches and to store things in the refrigerator. Then I found out that Glad containers are not made with BPA, nor are Pyrex lids (the containers are glass so they're good). But I have a lot of other storage items that are older, I'm unsure about, etc. I am thrilled to find out that Tupperware has discontinued use of BPA in all of its products sold in the US! That is GREAT news because I LOVE Tupperware and now I have a reason to buy all new products. :) If any of you happen to be a Tupperware consultant give me a ring....
Incidentally, BPA is also in the lining of soda cans. It is recommended that you only drink soda out of bottles. Still trying to figure out what to do with that info, given the amount of soda a certain member of our family drinks. And a couple of months ago, a study found high levels of BPA (as high as in the now-banned baby bottles) on paper money and particularly receipts.
The best approach, with every kind of germ, chemical, exposure, I suppose, is to wash our hands A LOT.
With triclosan-free non-antibacterial soap, of course!
No comments:
Post a Comment