Monday, February 15, 2010

Historic Annapolis

This morning we squeezed in the last of our 5 "Go See It" requirements for our Cub Scout den's Tiger rank. We got snowed out of these last two events over the past 10 days or so and have had a busy weekend trying to finish everything up now that the streets are passable. Dave took the boys to a Navy hockey game Saturday night to fulfill the sporting event requirement and at the last minute we decided to go take a walking tour of Annapolis to meet the historic place requirement. We had originally planned on touring the Free School, which is the oldest existing school, mandated by the colonial government and supported by public funds. The snow drifts at the Free School, though, are enormous so we had to scrap that plan.
Instead, Dave, our resident history expert, decided to take the boys around Annapolis. I won't go into all the details, but we had a GREAT morning. The parents got at least as much out of the tour as the boys did. One of them told me that she has lived here her entire life and didn't even know some of the things Dave told us. All agreed he should be a history teacher if he ever retires from the Army.
While some of the buildings we had hoped to enter were closed for the season, it was fun being out and maneuvering around the mounds of snow, and for an extra-special treat we got an impromptu tour of the State House, which is the oldest in continuous legislative use in the US. It was first used in 1779. The significance of this building is huge. The Treaty of Paris was ratified there, and Annapolis became the first peace-time capital of the United States. George Washington resigned his commission before the Continental Congress in this building. In fact, we got to stand in that room and this evening, as they do every President's Day, the state legislature will be meeting in that room to honor our first president.
We met at the Alex Haley-Kunte Kinte Memorial at the City Dock:


Outside the William Paca house, one of the 4 Marylanders who signed the Declaration of Independence:On the steps of the State House:Inside the original senate chamber:Interestingly, they removed 29 layers of paint and 2/3 inch of plaster to reveal the original bricks in this room. They plan to restore the room completely to its original state WHEN they get the money...We finished up the tour with ice cream for the boys, who apparently are immune to the effects of freezing cold......
And on that note....I am going to make some hot cider. The snow has begun again in earnest as I write......

3 comments:

  1. Whew! It's completed! Good for Joshie! Fun day! Let's go do it next time I come up. Joshie can teach Em and Jman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you all are getting back to your fun schedule of days.What a fun trip (and also a fun Valentine's Day) Sorry Alyson, about school. I think the schools will get a waiver for at least some of the days.
    On this end, it's 80. Everyday it is 80. I don't know why they even do a weather report. Well, some evenings and mornings it's 79, and then they're all worried about the "cold front". Our days are going fast, but I miss everyone at home and the critters too. Love, Danna

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha..."WHEN they get the money"...I think we're in debt for about the next 10 years because of the cost of snow removal.

    By the way I love the book Stepping Heavenward. I don't know where my copy of it went though. Maybe it is at my parents house. I need to find it and read it again.

    ReplyDelete