I haven't posted in a few days for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I dropped and apparently broke my camera. :'(
The lens won't retract and when I turn it on it makes a weird humming noise. So no new pictures of my gorgeous children for a little while....unless I can use Alyson's camera....
Secondly, I have been taking some time to process recent national events. Most of you know I tend to be quite opinionated with certain issues, and this is no different. I've thought about it, prayed a lot, read A TON, and decided that this is what I want to comment on:
I am thankful to President Bush. Our country has been safer for the last 8 years, led by a man who didn't care a hoot about popularity polls or even whether or not a bunch of classless jerks booed him at the inauguration. He is a man of such integrity, high moral values, and sense of responsibility to his country and I am so grateful to have had him leading our country in one of the toughest times we've faced in my lifetime.
I will never forget Thanksgiving of 2003. Dave was 7 months into what ended up being a 15-month deployment, the kids and I were in Germany. We got word that we might want to watch the television coverage of the first Thanksgiving in Iraq so we had the tv on all during dinner. We were shocked and jumping up and down when we saw Amb. Bremmer step aside and President Bush walk up in front of a room packed with soldiers, my husband included. He spoke to the soldiers, shook every hand in the room, served up some food for a while, and THANKED THEM for doing what they were doing for our country. He said there was nowhere else he would rather be and lingered long enough to take as many pictures as they wanted, hug everyone who wanted a hug, and make sure each of them knew that they weren't forgotten.
After the excitement died down, we found out what he had really gone through to visit his troops during war. He snuck out of his ranch in Crawford in the dead of night, past a herd of reporters staked out in front to cover his Thanksgiving at home. He was disguised and had no motorcade, hardly any security. Even most of the secret service were kept in the dark. His wife and children knew he would be gone, but even his parents were unaware that when they arrived thursday morning for the holiday, they would be without their son. There was a small contingent of reporters allowed on the plane but they weren't aware of the destination until shortly before the plane landed. Then they were told, "if this story breaks before we get there, we're turning around." They passed within sight of a British plane at one point and the British pilot radioed, "Did I just see Air Force One?" The AF1 pilot paused, then replied, "Gulfstream 5." The British pilot considered that for a moment and must have realized he was in on a secret and said, "oh." The plane landed without its lights at Baghdad Airport without even the military air traffic controllers there knowing who it was.
President Bush flew 17 hours to Baghdad, spent 2 hours with the soldiers, and flew 17 hours back home to Texas just to show his soldiers how much he appreciated them.
That, my friends, is a man of integrity. A man who understands and appreciates that his decisions affect so many real people.
We had a chance to see President Bush the next year when he came to Germany. It was exciting-he thanked them again, spoke of what a great job they did. But nothing will compare to that first Thanksgiving. He boosted the morale and determination of his soldiers, and comforted the families in a way I couldn't have imagined.
President Bush did so many things for individuals--without seeking attention. He has stayed and cried with families who lost loved ones, spent one-on-one time with injured soldiers.
He did not make decisions hastily or under pressure from various groups, but weighed his options and chose what he thought was best for the country. Did I agree with every choice he made? No. But I know that when he did choose a direction or make a policy decision, it was because he felt, in principle, that it was the best choice for our country in the long run. He understood that we cannot just "be nice" to those who want to kill us, he respected the sanctity of human life, and he understood that the best way to "get up on your feet" is to be given a hand, not to be lifted up and carried.
I thank him for his service, for his dignity, his sincerity, his humility, and the honor that he brought back to the presidency.
There is a website that is collecting thank-you notes to send on to Pres. Bush. If you are so inclined, here is the link:
http://www.mission1accomplished.com/
I was in the 32,000's. I think it's in the 40k's now...
No comments:
Post a Comment