Monday, January 12, 2009

Why have winter??

**ok, my kid told me I am making too big a deal out of it. I mean we're ONLY ranked number 6! And it's not like we're out of the playoffs or anything.....so fine. But I still hate winter.


I teased my good friend Lori the other day when the Titans lost. I gave her no sympathy and then told her to move on....and let's get on to some ACC basketball!
Then this........

No. 3 Tar Heels Fall to No. 4 Demon Deacons
North Carolina now stands at 14-2; 0-2 in ACC play.

And now I'm feeling her pain. Why oh why? Yes, the hype was ridiculous....the idea they would go undefeated was unrealistic, especially given this conference. But 0-2??!!

It was a sad night last night. Everyone just went to bed after the game. Alyson even slept in this morning because she forgot to reset her alarm last night. No one is looking forward to Thursday's game.

And I ask, "Why have winter?"
It's cold and gray and dreary and looooong.
Look, I've been putting up with this whole winter thing the last couple of years because it was necessary. It was the break between Nick's baseball seasons, I needed to some things indoors, I have some really cute coats from Germany, etc. But mostly because I didn't mind staying inside because there was Carolina basketball! We planned our schedules around it, turned off the phone, made sure we were all dressed accordingly. And then sat back and watched "our boys" take it to whatever unlucky team got in their way. Ah, the beauty of Lawson streaking down the court, leaving his competitors in his dust, the gorgeous arc of Ellington's 3-pointer swishing through the net, and the sheer out-muscling under the basket by Tyler Hansbrough, which almost always resulted in the basket AND the foul.
This is their last season together.
It was supposed to be "the season."
I suppose it can be still....but it's certainly not as much fun to watch them when you EXPECT them to win....and then you're just hoping they don't lose....

I think next year we should move to Florida. That way when the game is bad, I can just go to the beach....

3 comments:

  1. what-you're saying I need to get a life? You better ditch those plans to move. You'd never make it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I read your blog without a reminder, and only one day late! Yeah for me! And you namby pansies don't know what winter is. We spend at least two hours a day now breaking ice and pumping out water in the horse pens. Now THAT'S a good time!
    I didn't know there was a 2nd Night at the Musuem! I will count down with you! I LOVE those tiny people!
    I have nothing to say about the basketball, because, well, you know why.

    ReplyDelete