Friday, March 27, 2009

Homeschoolers Out and About

This morning Joshua had an ophthalmology appt. to check up on a little problem he was having with his eyes (everything's fine by the way--he has "eagle eyes" according to the doc.)
Anyway, Joshua was getting a little uncomfortable and worried after the drops were into dilate his eyes and paralyze his focusing mechanism. I was standing with him, holding his hand, trying to comfort him. I leaned over and explained what exactly the doctor was doing. We just finished a unit on the five senses and during the unit had learned the major parts and functions of the eye. I whispered to Joshua that the doctor was going to check his optic nerve and the capillaries in the back of his eye and also look at his retina to make sure everything was still "upside down."
After the exam was over, the doctor looked at me and said, "So what do you do in the eye world?"
Huh? "I'm not sure what you mean-"eye world', " I replied with a cocked head.
He said, "Well, I heard you talking to Joshua about his optic nerve and such. I figure you must do something with eyes."
"Oh!" I nodded, figuring out what he meant. "We homeschool and Joshua just learned all the parts of his eyes and what their function is."
"Wow-" said the doc. "Nice to hear a little guy like that is already learning so much. Good job, mom."

aaah, outside affirmation. It's nice every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment