Tuesday, July 6, 2010

All Means All

The following is an excerpt I read in my devotional time this morning. It's from a collection of writings by Amy Carmichael.  It touched my heart particularly since I've been dragging out that old whiny question, "Why?" a lot lately. I know many of you are walking your own difficult paths-illness, deployment, uncertainty--I pray this will be meaningful to you as well.

All the paths of the Lord are loving and faithful. Psalm 25:10

All the paths...."
I have pondered this verse lately, and have found that it feeds my spirit.
All does not mean "all--except this especially difficult and painful path." All must mean all.
So, your path with its unexplained sorrow or turmoil, and mine with its sharp flints and briers-and both our paths, with their unexplained perplexity, their sheer mystery-they are His paths, on which he will show himself loving and faithful. Nothing else; nothing less.
I am resting my heart on this word. It bears me up on eagle's wings. It gives courage and song and sweetness, too--that sweetness of spirit which is death to lose even for a half-hour.
I remember in times past almost desperately repeating to myself these lines, written as though spoken from the lips of our Lord:
Am I not enough, My own-
not enough for you?
Am I not enough, My own?
I, forever and alone, 
I, needing you?
 It was a long time before I could honestly answer, "Yes, you alone are enough for me.:" I remember the turmoil of soul I experienced before committing myself to follow Him on whatever path He would lead--remember as if it were yesterday. But at last-oh, the rest that came to me when I lifted my head and followed. For in acceptance there lies peace.
God bless you and utterly satisfy your heart...with himself.

My Father, you alone...you yourself....are enough for me. No matter what path you lead me on today, it is not strange and unknown to you.
Only let me go with your presence!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful devotional. Thanks for sharing it with us. All certainly does mean ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this my dear friend... I needed to read it today. Yes, HE is enough!

    ReplyDelete