Easter has become such a shallow, secular holiday--often even for Christians--and I feel it must just break the Father's heart to see how we take for granted the extreme sacrifice He made for us out of love. Usually I find something I enjoy to give up for the 40 days of Lent, to remind me of what was done for me. It seems like such a small gesture, giving up computer games or chocolate or a television program, but it has usually served to keep Christ's death for my sins towards the front of my mind for the period leading up to Easter.
This year I decided to do something different. Rather than give something up, and knowing that I could never sacrifice enough to know what it felt like for Him, I've decided to commit myself to a deep and concentrated focus on Him for Lent. I've usually planned on having my "quiet time" and Bible study in the early morning hours, before the kids are awake. I am sorry to say, though, that many mornings I just haven't gotten around to it. Sometimes I get back to it at lunch or before bed but more often than not, it just never gets done. I am publicly committing myself right now to spending time with my Father each morning after Alyson leaves for school.
I have chosen this book as my accompaniment:
I've owned the book for years and have read it before but this year am using it as an in-depth look into just what Jesus Christ did for me, such an ungrateful child, 2000 years ago.Here is an excerpt from today's reading:
To the casual observer the six hours are mundane...but to the handful of awestruck witnesses the most maddening of miracles is occurring. God is on a cross. the creator of the universe is being executed....And there is no one to save him, for he is sacrificing himself.
read Hebrews 12:2-13
He sacrificed himself for me--and for you. He loves us so much that he himself paid for each and every sin we have committed. He loves us even when we don't love him back. He did it even knowing how we would disappoint him. Unconditional love.
Are you making any sacrifices for Lent? Do you have any traditions leading up to Easter? Leave a comment-I'd love to hear them.
Um...you reminded me that it is Lent. I was not plugged into that at all. The one thing that comes to my mind right fast in regards to lent is LIFE! I rebel against the Catholic in me that constantly focuses on His death.
ReplyDeleteLent is a time to get excited and prepare to Worship His life on Easter....I'm going to have to think and pray on this today. I didn't have my Bible time this morning..I'm going to grab my devotional now...
Oh my dear sister in the Lord, this post was so encouraging and challenging at the same time. Thank you for your incredible testimony and I pray these next 40 days will be a beautiful time in your walk with our Lord... And, thank you for letting me in on your blog. I have read just a little and have laughed, smiled, and been incredibly encouraged!!! I am so glad we have met and hope to get to spend more time together during while we are in Maryland!
ReplyDelete