Monday, February 23, 2009

Taking Chance


Saturday night we watched the HBO film, Taking Chance-the story of a marine Lieutenant Colonel escorting the remains of a fallen marine across the country to his home. It is based on a true account and a letter written by LTC Strobl afterwards. Here is an excerpt:
Chance Phelps was wearing his Saint Christopher medal when he was killed on Good Friday. Eight days later, I handed the medallion to his mother. I didn’t know Chance before he died. Today, I miss him.
I actually have the entire letter saved and although it's too long to print here, if any of you want to read it, email me and I'll forward it to you. LTC Strobl was so moved by the extraordinary way he was treated along the way, the respect shown to the deceased, and just how many people he met that were genuinely touched by coming in contact with one of our nation's fallen heroes. Maintenance men who took off their hats as the casket passed, a flight attendant who hurriedly pressed a little cruicifix into the colonel's hand before tearing up and leaving, passengers who, once they realized what his mission was, told him how sorry they were.

Anyway, HBO made the film, starring Kevin Bacon. We got HBO for a month just so we could see it, and it was definitely worth it. My recommendation this week is for you to get HBO so you can see it, too. It's only $15/mo. which is less than you'd pay to see a movie at a theater. It'll touch you-and remind you of how precious our military are.

1 comment:

  1. We were flipping through channels on Saturday night and came across this movie. What a wonderful show.

    ReplyDelete