Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentines Day and traditions

We had a very nice Valentine's Day as I hope all of you did. Ours was very much like every other Valentine's Day because of the traditions we've carried on since, oh, about 1986. For those of you who haven't heard:

That first Valentine's Day was great. Of course it was the 80's so everything was great. :) My best friend and I found a place that was making heart-shaped pizzas for the day and we ordered a couple for our paisley-wearing, bi-level sporting boyfriends. The pizzas came with a single, wilted red rose. My preppy boyfriend with the gorgeous smile gave me a little tan puppy with a puffy heart in its mouth. It was the beginning of it all.

Every year since then Dave and I have made our own heart-shaped pizzas for Valentine's Day. As kids came along, they got included in the fun. Sometimes we cut the pepperonis into little hearts, sometimes we add other toppings, more often not. The tradition has kind of evolved over the years to making the entire day a "heart" day.
We start off with heart-shaped pancakes. We have heart shaped cookies, frosted and written on to look like conversation hearts. Sometimes I cut sandwiches into hearts. Sometimes we have Baskin-Robbins "love potion 31" ice cream that has little raspberry-filled chocolate hearts in it. (that ice cream is a story of its own--including almost getting hit by lightning to get some one year!) But the pizzas are always on the menu.

This year we had the pizzas for lunch because Dave and I had planned to go out to dinner and a movie that evening. We enjoyed two large heart-shaped pizzas, a pretty little spinach and strawberry salad, sparkling red grape juice (another must-have), and chocolate fondue with strawberries, bananas, mangos, and pretzel sticks. It was yummy!

We ended up not going to dinner because we were so full from lunch!

We did go see the Curious Case of Benjamin Button that evening...my verdict is still out on that. It was.....good(?).....but I don't know why. It wasn't bad. The makeup was incredible.

And so the tradition continues....A fun thing for me was that Jarrett made a heart-shaped pizza for his girlfriend, Chelsea, this year. :) Maybe he'll send me a picture to post, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment